CanvasHQ Review – Best Canvas Printing Service?
Adding a canvas print onto the walls of your home or office can make a real difference to the overall look of a room.
When done right, a 3-panel piece of wall art can provide a ‘smile-on-your-face’ aesthetic, that as we hunker down with yet another Covid-19 lockdown, I could do with.
I am sick of looking at the same 4 walls of my home office. And that’s why a few weeks ago I decided to purchase a large canvas print for above my desk.
A quick Google search for the best canvas printing service came up with an ad for CanvasHQ. A few clicks later and I was scanning the site looking for a new piece to adorn my wall. Within a short while, I was entering in my credit card details and a large canvas print had been ordered.
What follows is an in-depth look at CanvasHQ and my experience ordering wall art from them. Are they the guys to be using in 2021?
- CanvasHQ Review Summary
- Who are CanvasHQ?
- A brief overview of their services
- Ordering a Canvas Print with CanvaHQ – Step by Step Guide
- Design and Finish of the Canvas Print
- Choosing a Frame
- The CanvasHQ Request Process
- CanvasHQ Customer Support
- Pros and Cons of CanvasHQ
Who are CanvasHQ?
CanvasHQ is a family-owned canvas printing company that was established over 7 years ago as a limited liability company (LLC).
It focuses on canvas prints, with priority given to the reproduction of high-quality artwork on canvas. Its service delivery process is principled on the values of providing high-quality canvas printing services, caring customer support, and quick turnaround times.
This has made the company to be trusted by photographers who want to provide canvas photos to their clients/customers.
As a family-operated business, it promises a comprehensive and somewhat bespoke customer service that combines online chat with other means to “hold-your-hand” through the process of having your canvas printed.
CanvasHQ can provide touchups on digital art and photographs by removing blemishes and minor imperfections, and this is normally done free of charge.
Usually, most of the high-quality, high-resolution digital art and photos uploaded into the CanvasHQ portal are reproduced without being edited, but still one can request digital touchups.
Its turnaround time from receiving an order to creating a finished canvas print ranges from 2-8 days. This family-operated business is based in Fort Smith in Arkansas.
It serves a clientele based in the US and Canada. Among its clients are Bentley, Ralph Lauren, Belong Magazine, Sylvan Learning, Bon Appetit, and Rehab Addict.
- Related Content: Great Big Canvas Review – My Experience Ordering in 2021
A brief overview of their services
CanvasHQ specializes in reproducing two-dimensional fine art, drawing, photograph, or painting on a canvas as a canvas print.
They offer free touchups that allow for a poorer-quality photo to be upgraded to an acceptable canvas-quality image.
It also allows for the addition of one, or more, of the following image effects on the submitted digital image:
- classic black-and-white (B&W),
- classic color,
- highkey B&W,
- perfect color,
- landscape clarity,
- vintage wash,
- and 72 & Sunny image effects.
Relatedly, the supported layouts of canvas prints are the single-canvas layout and multi-panel layout. Equally, a single image can be printed on different canvases which are then laid out together to reproduce the digital image.
This can be done in either the diptych or triptych print formats.
CanvasHQ allows one to set the custom size of his/her print. The canvas printing can be done on either a framed or unframed canvas.
Relatedly, CanvasHQ hand-crafts their own frames using precision-cut pinewood that has been kiln-dried. This allows it to build a frame with straight borders and smooth edges.
Moreover, the canvas is stapled onto the frame to keep it taut. Afterward, the excess canvas material is cut to produce a cleanly-cut framed canvas print.
The frame used can be 0.75-inch, 1.5-inch, or 2.0-inch thick. Regarding finishes, it provides 5 types of canvas finishes: semi-gloss, matte, vintage, glossy, and iridescent.
This finish can be enhanced by the border color. CanvasHQ provides multiple options for border colors, along with image wrap and mirror wrap.
The most popular border colors are black (for artwork) and white (for creating the effect of floating off a wall).
Ordering a Canvas Print with CanvaHQ – Step by Step Guide
When ordering a canvas print from CanvasHQ there are a number of steps you need to take. The first is to choose the type of layout you want for your image, as well as the shape and size of the canvas.
Let’s go through these now.
Types of Layouts
The size and layout of the canvas print are usually dictated by the area on the wall where the print is to be placed.
The wall layout can also be considered, but this is usually done after factoring in the location and area on the wall where the print is to be positioned.
CanvasHQ offers two types of canvas print layouts that are fit for home and office décor:
Single canvas: This is the best layout for a large canvas print that is designed to serve as an art statement piece. It is also recommended for small walls where placing more than one canvas print creates the feeling of a crowded wall.
Multi-panel: This is suitable for a large wall that can accommodate more than 2 canvas prints. This layout allows one to easily fit 10 canvas prints on the same large wall.
At times, a single image can be printed on different canvases which are then laid out together to reproduce the digital image.
CanvasHQ offers this service as Diptych or Triptych, and the size of the canvas can be as large as 96 inches.
In Diptych, a single image is printed to stretch across 2 canvases. In Triptych, a single image is printed to stretch across 3 canvases.
It is evident that the canvas print layout is influenced by the wall size. Likewise, it is expected that the wall size will influence a key aspect of the canvas print – the size of the print. This means that the canvas print is created with the wall size in mind.
The shape of a Canvas Print
The shape of a canvas print determines the area that it occupies on the wall, as well as the layout of the printed image. The main shapes used for canvas prints are:
Square: In this print, the length is equal to the width. It is best suited for creating a multi-panel grid layout of canvas prints. Likewise, it the best canvas shape if one wants to place multiple canvas prints on a square wall.
Rectangular: In this print, the length is longer than the width. It can be created by placing 2 square prints side-by-side. It is suitable for a wall whose length and width are unequal. Also, it can be used to fill a gap created by an asymmetrical layout of canvas prints.
Hexagon: This print is a polygon with six-sides, and is best suited for creating a large statement piece of artwork. It can also be used to create a clustered honeycomb-like pattern of canvas prints.
Size of a Canvas Print
CanvasHQ allows one to set the custom size of his/her print. Even so, it is important to understand the different standard canvas sizes and their utility in creating canvas prints. Canvas prints are divided into 4 general size categories which are explained below:
Mini-sized: This is a small art print fit for small wall spaces or placed on shelves and bedside tables. It includes easel-back and mini-canvas prints. The main dimensions (in inches) of this mini-sized canvas print are:
- 4inches by 4 inches (4 x 4): This is a square mini-sized canvas print suitable for placing on a bookshelf.
- 4 x 6: This rectangular mini-sized canvas print is suitable for placing on a bedside table or study desk.
- 5 x 7: This is the standard photo-sized canvas print. It is suitable for placing on a small wall space in the bathroom, bedroom, or stairway.
- 6 x 6: This is a square mini-sized canvas print suitable for placing on small wall space.
Small-Sized: This canvas print is suitable for a multi-panel display layout, where it is displayed alongside other canvas prints while filling a small wall or creating a collage on a large wall in a room. The main dimensions are:
- 8 x 10: This is the standard size for a printed photo. It is a suitable canvas size for printing mementos and family photos, which can then be hanged on the wall.
- 10 x 10: This square canvas print is suitable for use in a multi-canvas layout.
- 10 x 20: This rectangular canvas print is suitable for landscape photographs or special pictures that need to be displayed on the wall. Its size directs the attention of a person directly to the photo.
Medium-Sized: The main dimensions are:
- 11 x 14: This is a medium-sized rectangular canvas print suitable for standalone photos that can be hung on the wall.
- 12 x 12: This square canvas print is suitable for use in a multi-canvas layout. It can also be used as a standalone canvas photo.
- 14 x 16: This rectangular canvas print is suitable for displaying wedding photos, family portraits, and holiday pictures.
Large Canvas Print: This is suitable if there is enough wall space, and one wants to display a landscape photograph, special family portrait, or special photographed event. Its main dimensions are:
- 20 x 20: This large square canvas print is suitable for a standalone photograph, art, or image, as well as for showcasing a special photo on a gallery wall.
- 20 x 24: This large rectangular portrait-ready print can be displayed as a standalone canvas art that is hung in the guest room, hallway, or bedroom.
- 24 x 24: This large square canvas print is suited for placing above a headboard or signature furniture.
- 24 x 36: This large rectangular canvas print can be hung above the sofa as the standalone photo for the wall.
- 30 x 40: This oversized rectangular canvas print is suitable for displaying in rooms where one wants to impress guests, e.g the office or living room.
- 36 x 36: This oversized square canvas print is suitable for a standalone photo that needs to be displayed in a hall or large room.
Design and Finish of the Canvas Print
The next steps involve choosing the design of the print and the finishing effects to be employed on the image.
Designs of a Canvas Print
The canvas art design needs to be customized to match the aesthetic tastes and preferences of the client, as well as fit the size, layout, and design of the room where it is going to be displayed.
The following designs of canvas prints are made by CanvasHQ:
- Family Photo: This is used to display photos of family events, reunions, or holidays.
- Pets: This is used to display family pets, especially photogenic pets.
- Inspirational and Quote: A quote can be added to a family (or pet) photo to create an inspirational canvas print. At times, only the quote is printed on the canvas hence creating a quote design. Both of these designs enhance the decoration of the room.
- Landscape: This is used to display the natural scenery, usually of the home gardens, neighborhood, farm, or a place where the family toured.
- Modern: This places emphasis on the unique shapes of objects in the image, as well as the use of bold colors during printing.
- Abstract: This is used to display abstract art. It is suitable for placing in rooms with minimalistic or modern interior decor.
- Maps: This is used to show a map of a place. It can also be a sketch map, road map, contour map, or weather map.
CanvasHQ has professional designers who provide services for designing the interior space or gallery wall, and this requires the client to post a photo of the wall where the print is to be placed.
By analyzing the background and shape of the wall, CanvasHQ professional designers can recommend the best canvas design and finish that can optimize the room décor.
- Related Content: CanvasChamp Review: Quality Canvas Printing or Best Avoided?
It is recommended that one uses an ultraviolet (UV)-resistant ink to create a canvas print because this reduces the chances of the canvas art fading quickly. CanvasHQ uses fade-resistant UV ink during printing hence creating fade-resistant canvas prints.
Even so, the owner of the canvas print is advised to keep the print out of direct sunlight, or covering it with protective glass or plexiglass.
The latter option requires the canvas print to be framed so that it is secured behind the Plexi(glass).
Before framing, one needs to choose the right canvas finish. Normally, the professional designers of CanvasHQ will advise one on the best shape, size, and image effects of a canvas print, as well as inform one of the various finishes available.
Regarding finish, it determines the aesthetic and material quality of the canvas print.
This is because it does not only determine the coating applied to the print, but it also determines the type of canvas used.
Choosing a Frame
Framing the canvas art allows it to pop off a wall, hence enhancing the apparent aesthetic space of the room. The frame needs to be thick enough to hold the weight of the canvas, as well as keep the canvas taut so as not to produce a creased display.
CanvasHQ hand-crafts their own frames using precision-cut pinewood that has been kiln-dried. This allows it to build a frame with straight borders and smooth edges.
Moreover, the canvas is stapled onto the frame to keep it taut. Afterward, the excess canvas material is cut to produce a cleanly-cut framed canvas print.
As expected, CanvasHQ can frame the canvas print with the canvas secured well to the frame to create neat and tidy tight corners.
The canvas print can be hanged on the wall. This is done by securing it on the wall using nails, J-hooks, eye hooks, adhesive strips, or a sawtooth bracket.
CanvasHQ ships the mounting (hanging) hardware along with the framed canvas print. Also, the frame can feature corner and center bracings. Even so, CanvasHQ does not lay a backing on the frame before stapling the canvas print.
This is because the backing is not important as the frame used and the stapling ensures that the canvas is firmly taut on the frame and it cannot sag or wrinkle.
Relatedly, the border of the canvas print can be customized to enhance the appearance of the framed print. If a full-bleed canvas print is used, then the borders of the canvas on the frame create an image wrap.
If one wants the edges of the image to be copied onto sections of the canvas that will be flipped around the frame, then the border option used is called mirror wrap.
Likewise, one can choose a border color to cover the sides of the canvas that have been wrapped around the frame. The most popular border colors are black (for artwork) and white (for creating the effect of floating off a wall).
The price of the canvas print is determined by its size, selected finish, and whether it is framed or not. CanvasHQ also offers a quantity discount if one places a bulk order for canvas prints.
Relatedly, the shipping cost of US clients can be free or not depending on the cost and quantity of canvas print.
Even so, a shipping cost applies to clients living in Canada.
- Related Content: Paint Your Life Reviews – Worth the Money?
The CanvasHQ Request Process
CanvasHQ Customer Support
As mentioned, CanvasHQ LLC is a family-owned business, and it thus operates from 0800hrs to 1700hrs (Central Standard Time) from Monday to Friday. This impacts the support that it provides because this support is offered during working hours.
There are 4 types of support offered:
- Live Chat: Here one uses the chat function in the website to open a chatbox and communicate with the company.
- Phone: One calls the phone number provided, 877 283 9899, and request assistance or places an order.
- Contact page: This allows one to email the company with his/her request or comment.
- Physical meeting: This requires one to drop in the shop physically, and meet the people running CanvasHQ. This allows one to have a physical one-on-one conversation with an expert about issues concerning canvas prints.
Pros and Cons of CanvasHQ